Thursday, July 19, 2007

More wheel testing - VeloDrome

It was raining... hard... like winter....

So off to the track. Which was pretty much empty...

So I thought I would try and do some longer wheel tests. Get some baseline data for the Mavic training wheels. And the Zipp 3000/Zipp 900 disc.

Test regime was 12 laps at about 30 kmh, 16 laps at about 36 and 20 laps at about 42.

As with previous tests at the Velodrome, the CdA was lower than I see on the road. Even without AeroBars and Aero Helmet I'm seeing numbers in the 0.230 to 0.250 range. Which is similiar to TT bike with full Aero everything.

On the other hand, the CRR numbers are high. About 0.007 to 0.009. Which is a lot higher than I would expect. This could be the Tufo problem (the mavics have Tufo S3 Pro's, the Zipps S3 Lite < 165). The Zipp's seem worse (higher) than the Mavics... although in theory the S3 Lite should be better. But they are mounted with tape.. (don't know how Mavics are mounted.)

I have some Tufo Elite Jet < 135, which (at least at high PSI) are supposed have acceptable CRR values. I'm tempted to glue those to the Zipp's.

It's been a couple of months since I was at the track. It is suprising how hard it is to push bit watts (> 300) out on the track bike. Higher cadence, smaller cranks and fixed gear... probably all three. Finished with 24 minutes at about 280 avg power. Hard to do. Would have been a piece of cake on the TT bike.

0 comments: