Friday, October 19, 2007

BVC Friday Races - a 4th


Three races, all fast...

4x4 Win-and-out. I didn't get out... finished near the end of the pack. Hadn't had an adequate warmup... and this was a short (16 lap) race.. so just used it as a (hard) warm up. Tony Zachary took first.

25 lap Point-a-lap. This moved along at a very fast pace, 44.8 kph average speed! Not the highest I've seen in B group, but fairly close (we did an 80 lap Points race at the six day last year that averaged 45.6!)

25 lap Point-a-Lap:

Duration: 7:27
Work: 145 kJ
TSS: 15.4 (intensity factor 1.115)
Norm Power: 346
VI: 1.06
Distance: 5.566 km
Elevation Gain: 9 m
Elevation Loss: 16 m
Grade: -0.1 % (-7 m)
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 789 325 watts
Heart rate: 0 0 0 bpm
Cadence: 31 130 106 rpm
Speed: 17.8 54.7 44.8 kph
Pace 1:06 3:22 1:20 min/km
Altitude: 122 129 126 m
Crank Torque: 0 67.8 29.0 N-m
Temperature: 18 19 18.9 Celsius
At about lap 18 I was part of a small dropped group with about 4-5 fast riders in the lead group. I managed to bridge back up to them. Then after a short half lap went through that group to get a point. I kept going and it became apparent that there was no-one behind me... They apparently where all bagged as I went on to get the next 4 lap points as well.

At the line with one lap to go I was pretty much all out, could hear riders behind me, pushed to get that point and then went up track to let them by... And there was really only one rider (I think Iona Wynter Parks, Team Colavita) close! If I had known I could (well maybe...) have kept on their draft and taken another point at the finish (double points for final lap, 2 for first and 1 for second.)



Ended up with a 4th... score one for being able to go long and hard after doing the bridge!



Final race was a 35 lap Scratch. A little slower 42.5 kph average speed, but unlike last week everyone attached and kept the pace up straight through to the finish. Tony Zachary managed a great sprint from about 5 riders back to take first. I was watching from the far side, too bagged to try and keep up with the sprinters on their final lap..

We have out of town visitors this weekend... So probably won't be able to get back on the bike until Monday.. Then Tuesday will be doing BVC Structured workout (Whistle drill again...). Goal is to push high end (L4-L6) and just maintain CTL at or near where it is now through Oct/Nov.

With luck (well more like with hard work) come out next spring with FTP near where it was last season (320 watts) but with 5 sec and 1 minute power numbers way up.

Update 2007-10-26: apparently I got a 2nd in the Point-a-lap... Nick Berry was first.

0 comments: